- CULTURE DEPARTMENT
- PLACES OF CULTURE
The task of the Archivio Storico Capitolino is to preserve, enhance and make the documentation written by the Administration of the Roma Capitale easy to consult.
It was created straight after 1870 in a climate of great civil commitment involving the collaboration between ministers, deputies, administrators and intellectuals in the creation of a project of Rome not only as the political but the cultural capital of the new Regno d'Italia.
Between 1874 and 1898, during the same years when the Istituto Storico Italiano, the Società Romana di Storia Patria and the new Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei were founded and the University of Rome (La Sapienza) was renewed, Municipal Council started to combine and locate all the old municipal archives on the sole premises of the Campidoglio 'to enhance the value of public and private acts which, while the years passed and things degenerated they became the custodians of the inheritance of each and every citizen'.
In 1922, in the new and final seat of the Oratorio dei Filippini, the Archivio Storico Capitolino, started to house the documentation gradually produced by the Administration next to that of the previous ones, where a large number of archives of Roman families which later formed a permanent collection, the Library and lastly, the Emeroteca Romana.
The Archivio Storico Capitolino today offers a centre of facilities and culture regarding the history of Rome from Medieval times to the present day. It takes an active part in a great number of scientific research programs in contact with the Universities and other Italian and foreign institutions.